The highly anticipated wait for the release of Rockstar’s Red Dead Redemption successor, L.A. Noire, has been met with a few forum tantrums.
Before the game had even hit the UK shops, games forums showed some copies of L.A.Noire were freezing games consoles.
Rockstar have given some advice in case users experience L.A.Noire freezing, including checking the game disc for dirt and cleaning if necessary.
In a joint Sony and Rockstar statement, Patrick Seybold, senior director of corporate communications and social media at Sony Playstation, said, “We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or fireware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat.”
“We have received a very small number of customer support questions about PS3s overheating or shutting down while playing L.A. Noire. Rockstar Games and Sony can confirm that neither L.A. Noire or fireware update 3.61 are causing the PS3 hardware to overheat.”
The statement said the companies are working to find solutions to any issues. It advised users to contact technical support.
It’s not been a great few weeks for Sony after its Playstation network was hacked – several times.
1. Delete your L.A. Noire Game Data (not save data) from the PS3 Game Data Utility. If on 360, clear the 360 cache.
2. Create a new temporary PS3 user to ensure that new save files are created. If on 360, create an offline Silver Gamertag.
3. Launch the game and try again. If you are on PS3, try playing while signed out of PSN.
4. Check your disc for scratches, dust, dirt, or other damage. Clean if necessary.
5. Check other game discs in your PS3/360 to see if issues are occurring in other games, suggesting a potential console problem.
6. Try your L.A. Noire disc in a different console or try a different L.A. Noire disc in your console to determine with certainty whether the issue could be with the disc or console, rather than the software.
7. If your console is overheating, try moving it to a more ventilated area or contact Sony/Microsoft for further console troubleshooting.
If the issue is still happening, please click “Submit a Request” at the top of this page and provide as much detail as possible about what PS3/360 model you are playing on and what steps you follow in the game when it crashes. Let us know exactly what you see (e.g. freeze, black screen, return to system software, etc). and what you are doing in the game when the issue occurs.
Also, if you are on PS3 please move your L.A. Noire save files onto a USB drive and then transfer them to a PC. Compress the folder on the USB drive called “PS3″ and attach that file. We will take a look at your save file to see if we can learn more about the issue and its resolution.